Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Matriculation and Ruins (Sep. 22)

For those who have never heard the word Matriculate, it simply means to become enrolled. As a JSA (junior study abroad), my time to meet with advisors and finish matriculation took place on Thursday.  I met with my advisor at 915 where my classes where approved. I am taking Beginning Latin for 20 credits and Medieval Castles 1100-1500 for 30 credits. A normal class load is 60 credits, but I have permission to take less. Its not recommended to take more than 60 unless you really have to. After that I was set. I walked to Younger Hall, which was across town, to hand in my medical forms. So it was only 1020 and it was a bright and sunny morning. Younger hall is just down the street from St. Andrew's Castle and the Cathedral. So of course I took the chance to get some good pics of the two. The castle is by paid admission only, so I took some pics from the outside, plus it was not open. The Cathedral is free unless you take a tour and go up into the tower. The ruins are really cool. There are several towers and gates that are still standing, and the foundation outline is still visible. The is only one place in the cathedral that a section of the floor still remains. It looks like the stone table Aslan was sacrificed on. It was nice to have had an art history class where we discussed the composition and design of churches and temples. I knew what all of the terms referred to. It was a great experience.

On my way back to DRA, I stopped at the travel agency at the Student Union. There I bought my young persons railcard and bought my train ticket to and from Edinburgh this next weekend. The hard part about traveling though is that I have weekends and 1 week off from school (its a reading/study week, but most people travel). Since I have latin everyday except wednesday, and my castle class meets only on Fridays, long weekends are hard. I could come back early monday if need be, but on Sunday's is when the medieval Shire of Caer Caledon meets. So I would want to be back for that. Some of you may read this and think its awesome to have 1 class a day and at 3. The system here is very different from back in the states.  In all of my free time, I am supposed to be studying and reading for my classes. Classes here are taught on an equal level with the professor/lecturer. Students here are fellow researchers and this gets reflected in time in the library. For example, my castles class has a list of 300-400 books to read from. It's our responsibility to read what is necessary and to draw from those sources for our exams. I have not yet got into classes yet, so I don't know if I like it, but if I do I might consider grad school in St. Andrew's or the UK.

One last note. Getting a C here on a test or paper is like getting an B+/A- back in the states. Getting an A is nearly impossible. So that kind of scares me. It's not something that I am comfortable with. The standard here just seems to be really high and the way they grade is just different. After I have had classes and tests, I will be sure to let you all know how it went.

Saint Salvator's Chapel



Saint Salvator's Quad

St. Salvator's Hall. This is where I wanted to stay. It's one of the oldest and looks like the epitome of academia. (note: also where Prince William and Kate lived)

St. Andrew's Castle



St. Andrew's Cathedral. Back in the Middle Ages, St. Andrew's was a site of religious fervor.


Some architectural shots







The Great Stone Table from Narnia. This is actually the only piece of the floor that is still intact. Its pulled back so you can see the tombs underneath.

Younger Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment