Friday, October 28, 2011

Dunnottar & Independence (Oct. 22)

Following the 'Castle Chronicles' after having taken 4 castles the day before, I decided I had not had enough. Emily, Amanda, and I travelled to Abroath and Stonehaven to see Arbroath Abbey, the site where Scotland's Independence was signed, and Dunnottar Castle. I just can't get enough of castles or ruins. There is so much to see. Most people I think would presume when you see one you have seen them all. Well let me say that each castle and abbey is different. Each has a different story to tell.

We began our day early meeting at the bus station in St. Andrew's at 8:20. We got a bus to Dundee where we waited to get a bus to Arbroath. We discovered a X7 Coastal Rider bus pass that went to Arbroath, Stonehaven and Aberdeen. The bus was really nice. It was a large coach bus. The seats were blue and leather. It was nicer than most planes that I have been on. Probably the nicest form of pub. transportation that I have ever experienced. It was nice. We took naps. We got to Arbroath and walked to the Abbey. Amanda had been there before. It was going to cost Amanda and Emily to get in (5 pounds). I am free since I bought a Historic Scotland Membership that gets me in to free into all of those sites. The lady at the counter was fantastic. She said "don't tell anyone" and got us all in for free, basically using my free pass for each of us. When I asked if we could do that, I was completely joking, but she did it. So sweet. It really helped to have had art history where I know terms to define parts of the cathedral. Enjoy the pics.


 You can tell that in the half circle in the ruins is where a Rose window would have gone. 



 Looking down the nave towards the choir and alter

Amanda (left) Emily (right) looking at me funny because I took a picture of them 

 More dead people

 Awesome 



 This room was acoustic 

 I don't know what this is, but I don't think its a light house.

This pic was an attempt to capture the epic water crashing over the harbor wall, but failed.

After getting some lunch in Abroath, fish and chips (what else would I get. It's so good), we got on the bus and made our way to Stonehaven. Emily was kind enough, on her birthday, to plan out our whole day and timing for everything. She determined that we could walk from Stonehaven about an hour and thirty minutes to Dunnottar castle via the coast. There was a path. Indeed there was a path. I will describe the journey through the pictures. 




 First view of Dunnottar

 I tried to get the angle, but it did not work out

 Castle Chronicling



 The cows frame this picture almost perfectly

 Epic setting


 Me and Dunnottar

 To reach Dunnottar, I had to climb down a bunch of stair and cross a narrow stretch of land, then climb more stairs to reach the main gate 

 Imposing. Naturally defended on all sides

 I like the effect of entrances into castles. I could tell by the wholes in the walls that they were for cannons, thus placing the dating of the castle in the 16th-17th century. I was right.


 Amanda and Emily


The castle itself was not as interesting as the walk. I enjoyed the walk more. There were a lot of ruins, and the castle is from a later century. I like the older ones. But I still really enjoyed it. You could hear and see water crashing on the rocks below the castle, and almost every window in every building had a view of the ocean. The location was something else. Another castle chronicled. 

I wanted to give my readers two lists. One of the castles I have conquered and the other of my favorites so far.

List of Conquered

  1. Edinburgh Castle
  2. Craigsmillar Castle
  3. Sterling Castle
  4. Dunnottar
  5. Ravenscraig
  6. Aberdour
  7. Linlithgow
  8. Doune
  9. St. Andrews (from outside so far)
  10. Urquhart Castle
List of Favorites (top-bottom)
  1. Craigsmillar
  2. Doune
  3. Urquhart
  4. Dunnottar (site alone)
  5. Aberdour
  6. Linlithgow 
  7. Ravenscraig
  8. St. Andrew's
  9. Edinburgh
  10. Sterling

No comments:

Post a Comment