Friday, November 11, 2011

Ford of Oxes part I (Nov 8)

I chose to go see the University of Oxford mainly because my friends Sam Kampa and Bre Blaschke who are studying there this semester.  I had seen Sam earlier in my trip in the UK for a weekend in Edinburgh.  I know that the two of them are really enjoying Oxford, and now I see why. I thought Oxford was going to be similar size to St. Andrew's... It's quite a lot bigger in my opinion. There are so many things to do and see in Oxford. All of the school buildings are architecturally magnificent. Oxford is the oldest university in the world. It's world renowned for its academics. I knew right away my short visit in Oxford was going to be a pleasant one.



The above two pictures are of the inside of St. Giles Church. The history dates back to 1086 AD. So it's pretty old. I am just amazed that churches such as this survive that long as continuous running churches. It's so fascinating.  It was my goal in Oxford to get slightly lost. I knew if I wandered around, I would find something that would really interest me, such as churches, which Oxford has a lot of. I just happen to walk by this trying to get to the Tesco Metro for meeting up with Sam and Bre.

 Another product of my wandering


The Pitts Museum of Oxford is the natural history museum. I did not have the time to stop to go inside at the time, but I would hope that I would make it back at some point. Unfortunately, I did not make it back to this museum.


Outside the Pitts were these huge chunks of trees. They were really interesting to look at and so massive. I thought they were art that just sat outside the museum, but it had something to do with conservation.


Above is the church of St. Mary Magdalne, or Univesity Church. It was right across the street to where I needed to meet Sam and Bre for lunch. I had some extra time, so I went inside and looked around. Again it had a very old history.


We got lunch at the Eagle and Child, which was a favorite among Oxford academics and writers such as JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis. So a historic place to eat. I am sure most buildings in Oxford have some claim to fame, for many famous people that most people would recognize went to Oxford as students. Other famous people include: 117 elected Parliament members (Oxford and the University each had their own representative in Parliament), WH Auden, TS Elliot, William Golding (Lord of the Flies), Hugh Grant, Matthew Arnold, Gerard Manly Hopkins, Percy Shelly, Oscar Wilde, Adam Smith, William Penn (founded Penn.), James Oglethorpe (founded Georgia), Christopher Wren, John Donne, Erasmus, Sir Thomas More, John Wyclif etc...



I don't remember what church this was, but it was spectacular

The next part of my experience in Oxford was the Ashmolean. The Ashmolean is basically a smaller version of the British Museum, but all of the stuff there was collected by Oxford people. There were some really significant artifacts here. Because of its smaller size, it did not take as long, but I did stick to the same areas as I did in the British Museum.

 Looks very similar in style to the British Museum


Archaic Greek sculpted head. This period of Greek sculpture was not as highly developed as it would in the 5th Century BC. The facial features appear as if just placed on the face. It does not look natural. It is in this period that we can see a progress towards idealism, but the means of reaching that has not been achieved by artists and sculptors.

 Largest intact marble Cycladic figure (2800-2300 BC)

 Many people might be able to recognize this burial mask. It is none other than the face of Agamemnon. (AE 1141 BC)


This is a really famous artifact. It was found off the cape of Artemision near a ship wreck. This was only a copy. The original is someplace else. I got really excited when I saw it. I also wondered why would it be in this smaller museum in Oxford and not the British Museum?

 Herkules

The next room I discovered was a room of Roman copies of Greek sculptures. I am not sure if they were real copies or not, but there were a lot of really iconic statues in there. Again, I was amazed at what I saw.

 Hermes holding infant Dionysos (340 BC)

 Nike of Paionios (425-421 BC)

 Diskobolos of Myron (460-440 BC). 

The above example of the discus thrower is the best example of showing freedom of movement. It was in the classical period of Greek sculpture that the human body became a topic worth of study. The archaic is typified by the still and static position of the figures. In the classical period, the use of movement was used to that people could admire the human body for its aesthetic values.

 Laocoon and his Sons (original in the Vatican)

 Kore (Archaic Greece) 500-480 BC


Seated Boxer (AE 50 BC). I used this for one of my essays for my Ancient Art history class, so I know a little about it. It comes from the Hellenistic period, and typical of the period one can still see the classical and idealic body but with sad undertones. One theory is that this is the mighty Herkules, but is defeated as shown by the swollen and bloody face. Herkules symbolized the Greek people, and representing him as defeated revealed the peoples sentiments toward being dominated by others.

 Peplos Kore (530 BC)

 Apoxyomenos of Lysippos (1st Century AD)

 Augustus of Prima Porta (in Vactican) 20 BC

 Brass rubbing of Medieval grave

 Icon paintings

 St. Peter

Farnese Herkules (3rd Century AD) Lysippos. I used this for a Greek Civilization essay.

By chance, I happened to walk past Christ College and Church. I was there 45 minutes before closing, so if I wanted to see stuff I had to go fast. Christ College is the largest college on the Oxford campus. I did not realize it at first, but many of the places I walked by or into I seemed to recognize somehow. Harry Potter fans will know what I am talking about. I was in the places where the film was shot. I stumbled upon this place by accident. So Harry Potter fans enjoy.


 The cloisters. Harry Potter fans will recognize these hallways as the halls of Hogwarts


 Look at the ceiling

 The Great Hall. I learned that the director had many pictures and footage taken from many different angles to make the hall look bigger on film. In reality, it was too small for what was needed.  But this is where it was filmed.


 It's hard to see, but the ceiling was fantastic. There are not many examples of that type of ceiling in the world. Several examples reside in Oxford.

 Top of the stairs

 The staircase where Harry and friends enter Hogwarts for the first time.

Another view of the cloister

Inside the college is Christ's Church, the smallest cathedral. It was indeed small, but the delicate stone work and architecture, it rates in the top of my favorite churches. At 6:00 pm, I attended an evening service called Evensong. At the service, there is a choir composed of boys and men. They were quite good. I ended my night with Evensong. I was tired after my full day and retired back to my hostel. I went to bed at close to 830 and did not wake up until 8, so a good 12 hours of sleep. Wonderful!


The tower is the main entrance into the place. You have to go through the tower to walk across the lawn to get to the church, which is to my right.

 First step inside the cathedral. The ceiling is so unique. I have not really seen anything like it before. It was exquisite. 



 The main alter



Here ends the first day of the Oxford Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment