Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Fish and Chips (Dec 14)

This afternoon, Callum, Grace, and I travelled to far off (not really that far) to Anstruther. In orientation back in October, I remember hearing about Anstruther Fish n'Chips being voted the best in the UK. So obviously I had to find out for myself. In the time that I have been here, I have had numerous fish 'n chips from various places within St. Andrews, around St. Andrews, and beyond. Where some people have spent lots of money on pubs, I spent it on fish and chips.

The Anstruther Fish Bar is said to have had the best fish n' chips in the UK. It was also fitting that I got there with only two days left in Scotland.  I am making this my last fish and chips while abroad. I am ending while on the top. And I have to say, they were quite delicious. I have liked all of the fish and chips I have gotten here, but Anstruther does stand higher in the rankings. I won't go into much detail, and this might sound goofy, but I would rate fish and chips on the batter, cripsy-ness, flakiness and so on.  For example, I like the Tailend Fish and Chips, but you can't pick it up with your hands without it breaking apart. Anstruther was able to be picked apart and picked up with relative ease, so I liked that about it. The fish is extremely fresh, as the bar sits on the harbor and fresh catches are brought in twice a day. I would like to think that you say you want a fish and some guy jumps in the water to catch one.



Just look at this fish... you can see that it looks crispy and yummy, which I can assure you it was indeed. For all those who are coming to Scotland at some point in their lives, this is a stop that you should stop and eat at. It's worth the trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment