Sunday, December 11, 2011

St. Andrew's Oldest Tradition: Pier Walk (Dec 11)

The final Sunday before I leave, and the final Sunday service for Salvator's Chapel this year, I partook in the worship at Salvator's Chapel followed by one of the oldest traditions, the pier walk. The service was normal, and rather odd. The sermon started talking about politics and fat cats. It was a weird comment and I was lost for a few moments. Anyway, after the service it is normal for students to don their red gowns (I borrowed one) and walk to the pier and back. This happens every sunday except when bad weather threatens to throw students off the pier into the ocean.

This excerpt is from a website describing the pier walk:
The origins of the Pier Walk are veiled in obscurity though most people believe it was started to commemorate the heroism of John Honey, a student of the university. In 1800 he rescued five men from a ship sinking in St Andrews Bay. Five times he swam out and each time he returned with a rescued man.
Whatever its origins, the Pier Walk is one of the oldest traditions in St Andrews. Every Sunday, after chapel service, students in their gowns walk down to the end of the pier, climb up the ladder and walk back along the top. Doesn't sound too interesting, does it? Try and picture the scene - the wind is howling in off the sea, your gown is flapping, whipping back and forth, pulling you around, and a drop onto rocks (or, if you're lucky and they're not, onto your fellow Pier Walkers) awaits if you make a mistake. All in all, the Pier Walk certainly adds spice to a Sunday morning stroll.
Did I mention yet that the highest part of the pier is also the narrowest part? In the past, students have been blown clean off the pier and never seen again. Hmmm, that might be a slight exaggeration. What isn't an exaggeration is that no one leaves St Andrews without doing the Pier Walk at least once (be it on the Sunday morning or not).

It was very fitting that I participated in this momentous occasion the last weekend I am here. It was an excellent way to end my experience in St. Andrews


 left: Chelsea White, right: Me
The robe is a very important part of University life. It is often donned during important and ceremonial occasions. The robe symbolizes academics as does the way one wears the robes. First years where the robe complete closed around the next which symbolizes the students eagerness for learning. Second years wear it open, starting to show some relaxed state as compared to the previous year. Third years wear the robe on the lower shoulders for a more relaxed fit. Seniors only wear the robe on one shoulder, cause they don't care anymore cause they are graduating. I am wearing mine like a second year. I am a third year back at home, but I did not feel like wearing lower on my shoulders, especially considering its not my robe and it did not fit that well. The robe itself (the one I am wearing) was my flatmates, who is smaller compared to me. It would not shut nor was it the right size, but it worked for this occasion.


 The iconic photo for all golfers around the world. The little stone arch bridge and the Royal and Ancient in the background.

 Chelsea on the Bridge

 Robust

 Aww inspiring

Classy

This week is going to be interesting. I have a final for my honors medieval history class tomorrow morning at 930. I have one hour to write an essay out of 4 questions. I am not too worried about it though. My latin final is what is worrying me. The Latin class has 4 regular exams throughout the semester. The 4th exam is on friday. I also take the final (2 hours) right after the class. So after Monday, the rest of the week is going to be used revising for Latin. Fun stuff. I then get on the giant steel bird to cross the icy sea at 855 in the morning, which means I leave here around 6 am. Fun last days in Scotland. But the good news is, I am coming home.


No comments:

Post a Comment